Saul, St. James' Church

Situated in the horseshoe bend of the River Severn and by the side of the Gloucester to Sharpness canal, Saul can only be approached by crossing one of the bridges at either end of the village.

At Sandfield bridge, ducks and geese often take priority over the crossing, reminding the traveller that the pace of life can slow down, and giving time for reflection on the beautiful countryside that surrounds the village.

The Church of St James the Great is in the centre of the village, a pretty country church and probably the oldest of the five churches in the Severnside Group of Parishes. Mentioned in 1140, having been built by the Monks of Standish as a chapel at ease. it probably consisted of a nave only. Sympathetic additions have been made to the nave since that date!

Many of the houses in Saul were built by seafaring families, and this is reflected in the nautical theme of many monuments in the churchyard.

As in many small villages, the community is welcoming, and very supportive of each other, especially in times of sickness and need. New members of the village are warmly welcomed by the PCC and handed a Welcome to Saul booklet, listing all the facilities and activities in the Saul area.

Location

Address: The Church of St. James the Great, Saul, Gloucestershire, GL2 7LW


All Site Content - © 2015 - - The Severnside Group of Parishes
Website Designed and Maintained by Skyfire Designs